Southwest ARchives
Legacy Web Site


Please use http://www.southwestarchives.com/

Southwest Arkansas Regional Archives
201 Highway 195 South
PO Box 134
Washington AR 71862
Phone: (870) 983-2633 - FAX: (870) 983-2636
Peggy.Lloyd@Arkansas.Gov or Gail.Martin@Arkansas.Gov

Menu | Login | Sign Up
Home Page | About Us | Resources | Discussion Board | Search | Help
Friday, November 21, 2014 1:55:06 pm


Place File

Places#001 - "SOME ABORIGINAL SITES ON RED RIVER"

"Excerpts from the book of same title by Clarence Moore; The Foster Site on Red River in Lafayette County; Caddo Indian Mound excavated by the Clarence Moore Expedition, 1912. eliminated: see book by same title in library one photograph of artifacts."

Places#002 - AMITY: A HISTORY
Author: by Mary Hughes
Date: 1937

"b) Amity High School History; Arkansas Methodist Nov. 7, 1929. 5 pages."

Places#003 - "ARKANSAS TERRITORIAL RESTORATION: "PROJECT IS DESIGNED TO CLARIFY FRONTIER LIFE IN STATE."

"Arkansas Gazette March 15, 1982 newsprint, 4 pages."

Places#004 - ARKANSAS AND TEXAS BETWEEN 1818 AND 1848

"Essay by Grandison Royston II, 1981 39 pages."

Places#005 - ARKANSAS: COUNTY COURTHOUSE FIRES AND OUR STATE COUNTIES

"List by Russell Baker of the Arkansas History Commission, 1979 map, 1 page."

Places#006 - ARKANSAS TOWNSHIPS LISTED BY COUNTIES

"Taken from circa 1921 map, by Betty Jones 18 pages."

Places#007 - (A) ASHDOWN AND RICHMOND METHODIST CHURCHES CELEBRATE 80TH ANNIVERSARY (B) HISTORY OF FIRST METHODIST CHURCH IN ASHDOWN
Author: "By T. B. Cook, Little River News"
Date: 1974

"A) 11 pages. B) newsprint, 8 pages. "

Places#008 - BAKER SPRINGS

"Copied from The Southwest Press; Washington, AR Sept. 5, 1885 2 pages."

Places#009 - BLEVINS HOUSE HISTORY

"Three papers including original letter from Myra Hamby to Charlean Moss Williams, 1936. 12 pages."

Places#010 - BOUGHTON BAPTIST CHURCH

"Report of meeting of Red River Baptist Association at Boughton Baptist Church, May 1951. 2 pages."

Places#011 - BROWNSTOWN AND BEN LOMOND: THE TWO B'S

Arkansas Gazette; Dec. 1883. 5 pages.

Places#012 - "CADDO GAP INDIAN WILL STAND AGAIN"

"Nashville News, 1980 newsprint, 2 pages."

Places#013 - CAMDEN: AN ADDRESS BY J.E. GAUGHAN AT THE ANNUAL MEETING OF THE ARKANSAS HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION AT CAMDEN

"April 28, 1961 16 pages."

Places#014 - CAMDEN'S GOLDEN KNIGHTS

"Ouachita Valley Ledger, 1981. Story of the Knights of the Golden Circle, a secret militia of Arkansas during the Civil War. 4 pages."

Places#015 - CAMDEN: LIST OF CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS BURIED IN THE OLD CEMETERY AND FOREST HILL CEMETERY

5 pages.

Places#016 - "CAVE HILL CEMETERY, HOPE: LIST OF CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS BURIED IN THE CAVE HILL CEMETERY"

Handwritten in 1912. 4 pages.

Places#017 - "CENTER POINT: PETITION TO INCORPORATE, 1879"

Copy of Abstract. 7 pages.

Places#018 - CERROGORDO: LEGEND LIVES IN CERROGORDO

"Three newspaper clippings from Texarkana Gazette, 1977; story of lost silver mine. 4 pages."

Places#019 - CERROGORDO

One page history by Hugh Carruth 1 page.

Places#020 - CHIDESTER HOUSE

"Ouachita Valley Ledger, 1981. Chidester House in Camden built in 1847 by Peter McCollum; clipping and leaflet. Newsprint, 6 pages."

Places#021 - "CROUCH HOUSE IN WASHINGTON, ARKANSAS"

Architect's report before restoration of the Augustus Crouch house in 1981. 3 pages.

Places#022 - CHRONOLOGY OF CADDO CULTURE AT PAVILION AT WHITE CLIFFS

The mini-museum at White Cliffs constructed by the Corps of Engineers; Map and Story of Caddo Indian culture. 4 map prints.

Places#023 - "DEAR FOLKS" LETTERS BY ROY ANDERSON"

Reminiscences of Hope and Spring Hill; 100 pages.

Places#024 - DEQUEEN

"a.. map; b. list of business facing the courthouse square in 1914, by Hugh Carruth 24 pages."

Places#025 - DEQUEEN: THE CITY WITH THE WRONG NAME

"Brochure; the 75th Anniversary of the City of DeQueen, July 1972. 13 pages."

Places#026 - "DEQUEEN: "ARKANSAWYERS DIDN'T LIKE 'DEGOEIJEN' LABEL"

"Dallas Morning News, 1978 3 pages, newsprint."

Places#027 - DOOLEY'S FERRY ROAD

"Rick Tice; map and list of original landowners. 8 pages, newsprint."

Places#028 - EARLY NAVIGATION AND COMMERCE ALONG THE ARKANSAS AND RED RIVERS IN OKLAHOMA

by Muriel Wright; from Chronicles of Oklahoma; The Great Raft; songs by roustabouts and black slaves; steamboats. 25 pages.

Places#029 - EBENEEZER CAMPGROUND: HISTORICAL RESUME 1857-1934

Howard County; copy of abstract. 25 pages.

Places#030 - "ELEY CABIN AT BELTON: "DOWN MEMORY LANE: THE STAR'S CAMERA VISITS AN OLD LOG CABIN"

"Hope Star, 1974 4 pages, newsprint."

Places#031 - FINAL CHAPTER: EDITORIAL FROM UNKNOWN NEWSPAPER

The Hope-Washington courthouse controversy 1 page.

Places#032 - FLOWER SPRINGS

Flower Springs Plantation in Howard County; burned during the Civil War. 3 pages.

Places#033 - "FOUKE, ARKANSAS"

"a. Fouke, Arkansas by Bettie Lacy b. Fouke, Arkansas by Effie Pace c. Early History of Fouke School by L. D. Hutt, Jr. 16 pages."

Places#034 - FACTS ABOUT FULTON

"By Sarah Jobe, Arkansas Gazette, January, 1938 7 pages, newsprint."

Places#035 - "GRACE EPISCOPAL CHURCH IN WASHINGTON, ARKANSAS"

"Partial Baptismal Records 1860-1867 17 pages to copy, outside box."

Places#036 - GHOST LIGHT AT GURDON

"a. "Does Headless Man Walk at Night?" Hope star, 1978 b. "Blevins Man Dies at Arkadelphia" (J.A. Yarberry killed on railroad tracks, Jan. 1919) 6 pages."

Places#037 - GOODLETT GIN

"Newspaper Articles a. "91-year old Goodlett Gin Still Serves Ozan Farmers" b. "State Buys Goodlett Gin" Hope Star, 1974 c. "91-year old Cotton Gin to be moved to Washington state Park" d. "Restoration Like Jigsaw Puzzle" Hope Star, 1978 e. "Goodlett Cotton Gin-whistles Quiet After years of Work: f. "Arkansas Town Resurrects Steam perated Cotton Gin" 14 newsprints"

Places#038 - LAFAYETTE COUNTY HISTORY

"Six Sections a. Caddo Indians in Arkansas b. History of Lafayette County c. Lafayette County: People and Industry d. Women in Lafayette County and State Government e. Post Offices 1832-1890 f. Lafayette County: from the Centennial History, by Herndon 20 pages."

Places#039 - LAFAYETTE COUNTY POST OFFICES

a. Names of Postmasters by Dan Dennington b. Lafayette Lookback articles about the post office (4 articles) 10 pages.

Places#040 - LEGACY FROM THE PAST: THE HISTORY OF HATFIELD

"By Eva Martin, 1980 14 pages."

Places#041 - LITTLE ROCK'S 150TH ANNIVERSARY

"Three articles by Magaret Smith Ross, November 1981, Arkansas Gazette 6 newsprints"

Places#042 - LOCKESBURG POST OFFICE RECORDS 1880-1956

Miscellaneous items including correspondence from P. O. Dept. In Washington D. C. concerning schedules between towns for postmen; closing of post offices; towns no longer in existence. 45 pages.

Places#043 - MAXWELL HOUSE COFFEE STORY by Myra Hamby

"Also, a story of Maxwell House of Nashville, TN 1859-1870 10 pages."

Places#044 - MERRELL CEMETERY

Ten miles east of Nashville and three miles northwest of McCaskill; placed in Hempstead County Cemetery Records in Research Room. 11 pages.

Places#045 - MILLER COUNTY

"a. Lost County of the Ark-La-Tex by Rom Ruffin, map b. Legend of Bright Star by Cecil Copeland c. Court in Miller County 1838 d. Miller County by Rick Tice e. Early Miller County History by Ted Goldman f. The Naming of Miller County by Tom Campbell 26 pages."

Places#046 - MILLER COUNTY: THE FRONTIER MEN FORGOT

By Dr. Rex Strickland Eliminated. See PLF #374.

Places#047 - MOTZ: LIST OF POSTMASTERS 1887-1914

1 page.

Places#048 - MOSCOW: AN EXTINCT VILLAGE with map

By Randolph Hamby 4 pages.

Places#049 - MT. MORIAH: HISTORIC NEVADA COUNTY CHURCH

"a. Temporary County seat of Nevada County in 1871 b. Arkansas Historic Preservation Form, with pictures 2 pages."

Places#050 - HAMBY HOUSE IN PRESCOTT
Author: " Nevada County Picayune, Feb. 5, 1976; "

"house built in 1900 by Christopher Columbus Hamby. Newsprints, 6 pages."

Places#051 - HEMPSTEAD COUNTY TOWNSHIPS ESTABLISHED IN 1819

a. Little Missouri Township b. Monroe Township c. Ozan Township d. Saline Township e. Clay Township f. Bonipart-changed to Pecan g. Roan Township Copied from Original Order Book 1819 5 pages.

Places#052 - HEMPSTEAD COUNTY

Reminiscences of a farm near Hope in the early 1900s by Hazel Underwood. Part I and Part II; handmade map of Block cemetery near New Hope School. 45 pages.

Places#053 - HISTORY OF NEVADA COUNTY AS REPORTED BY R. P. HAMBY IN THE 1936 EDITION OF THE HOPE STAR

Map of Camden to Washington; road laid out in 1824. 12 pages.

Places#054 - HOOKS: BRIEF HISTORY

(one page)

Places#055 - HOPE AIRPORT

"Copy of map of first civil airport at Hope, 1915; letter from Mr. Gould, sending map to Hope Chamber of Commerce. 2 pages."

Places#056 - HORATIO: DIAGRAM SHOWING BUSINESS DISTRICT IN 1913

"Drawn by Hugh Carruth, 1981. 3 pages newsprint."

Places#057 - McRAE HOUSE IN HOPE

"Built by K. G. McRae in 1902; National Register Application Form, 7 pages. "

Places#058 - NASHVILLE NEWS: EARLY FILES

"Weekly columns compiled by Lucille Westbrook from back issues of The Nashville News. Historical facts, stories, etc. 1981. Newsprint, approximately 87 clippings."

Places#059 - NUGGETS AND SHALE

"By Carribel Eck Carter; Mena Weekly News, August, 1938; three-part story of George Winton and 150 Tennessee pioneers who came in 1834 to the area of Mena and Rich Mountain. 6 pgs."

MOVED to VFSA 1560

Places#060 - OIL HERITAGE CENTER

"Brochure, Museum located at the original Smackover Oil Field in Union County. 2 pgs."

Places#061 - OUACHITA COUNTY IN 1900

"Copied form the Business Directory of 1900 Towns included: Bearden, Buena Vista, Camden, Chidester, Eagle Mills, Elliott, Liberty Louann, Lunet, Ogamaw, Sayre, Van Duzer, Lester, Lilley, Lufra, Millville, Stephens, Tremont. 9 pgs."

Places#062 - OUACHITA RIVERBOAT TRADING DAYS

"Ouachita Valley Ledger, June 18, 1981; Illustration names steamboats; John Johnson's steamboat "Enterprise" that was sunk in the Ouachita River in 1828. 4 pages, newsprint."

Places#063 - "PIONEER CEMETERY IN WASHINGTON, AR"

Inscriptions taken from the headstones. 5 pages.

Places#064 - PIONEER KITCHEN

"Newspaper clippings; Hope Star and Nashville News; Inez Carr and her restaurant in Washington, AR, 1978. newsprint, 16 pages to print."

Places#065 - FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH IN ASHDOWN

Dedication of remodeled sanctuary; story of 100 year old chandeliers; newspaper clippings; date and paper unknown. 2 pages.

Places#067 - PRAIRIE DE ANN

"a. Battle of Prairie DeAnn or Gun Grove, 1863, by W. B. Tompkins. b. The Action at Prairie DeAnn, Atkinson (reprint from Arkansas Historical Quarterly, Vol. XIX, No. 1.) 27 pgs."

Places#068 - RED RIVER: MISCELLANEOUS NOTES

"River Transportation in Arkansas, 1819-1890 (Brown); The Red River Then and Now (Neville); Caddo 1000 (Carruth) and others. 10 pgs."

Places#069 - RICH MOUNTAIN AND QUEEN WILHELMINA INN

"From The Looking Glass, 1977; "The air-conditioned mountain" 4 pgs."

Places#070 - PURKINS-BEARD HOUSE IN HOPE

"Land description, copy. 1 pg."

Places#071 - SEVEN STRONG WOMEN AHEAD OF THEIR TIME

"Texarkana Gazette, April 19, 1982, by Robert Kerr, "Women's Council of Washington, AR in 1934" newsprint 1 to 2 pgs to copy."

Places#072 - SEVIER COUNTY: POPULATION CURVE FROM 1830-1890

Three charts by Hugh Carruth. 3 pgs.

Places#073 - SOUTHWEST TRAIL

Description of trail with map showing general route from Missouri through Arkansas to Red River. Author and origin not given. 5 pgs.

Places#074 - SEVIER COUNTY POST OFFICES 1839-1949

"List by Hugh Carruth, 1979.5 pgs."

Places#075 - SHOVER SPRINGS: THREE PAPERS

"Illustration of Shover Springs, photocopies; Bits and Pieces, article by Ada May England White, 1977; Shover Springs Once a Camp for hunters, by LaVeta England Mouser, 1931. 20 pages."

Places#076 - "STAMPS, HISTORY OF"

History of Stamps Told at Historical Society Meet; History of stamps; How Stamps Got its Name. 6 pages.

Places#077 - "FIRST METHODIST CHURCH IN STAMPS, HISTORY OF"

"Newspaper article, date and newspaper unknown. 2 pgs."

Places#078 - STAMPS LOOKS TO BE ON VERGE OF BOOM

Newspaper story; date and newspaper unknown; Story of Bodcaw Bank; Alan White Furniture manufacturers; Chronicle of Bodcaw Bank officials; 2 pgs.

Places#079 - "STUART, A. O., HOUSE IN WASHINGTON, AR"

"Description by Don Montgomery, 1979. 4 pgs."

Places#080 - GOVERNOR'S WIFE BUYS OUT OLD LANDMARK AT STAMPS

"Unknown newspaper, no date; "Mrs. W. Rockefeller buys Baker Drug Store, built 1902, in Stamps, for governor for birthday gift..." newsprint and copy, 8 pages."

Places#081 - WASHINGTON'S HOUSES OF THE POST-BELLUM ERA

"By Claire N. Moody, Arkansas Gazette, ca. 1960; story of the blueprints of the Dan Jones house and the John Thomas House, illustrated. Newsprint, 7 pages."

Places#082 - "TOM, OKLAHOMA: A REPORT BY HARLESS AND WARD"

"By Mark Harless and Henry Ward; report on McCurtain County, OK, lumber industry ca. 1914; communities of Pine Creek and America. 14 pages."

Places#083 - "TOKIO, ARKANSAS"

"From "Place Names" by Ernie Deane, in Arkansas Gazette, 1980; newsprint 1 page."

Places#084 - "UMPIRE, ARKANSAS"

Hand-drawn map of town by Mr. Tilden Monasco; circa 1912. 1 page.

Places#085 - UMPIRE

"From "Place Names" by Ernie Deane; Arkansas Gazette, ca. 1980; How Umpire and Ink, AR were named. Newsprint, 1 pg."

Places#086 - WASHINGTON: A DAY TO REMEMBER

"Arkansas Legislature Meets in Confederate State Capitol of Washington, AR Feb. 22, 1979; Hope Star articles, 1979. Newsprint 24 pages to copy."

Places#087 - WASHINGTON BUSINESSES IN 1888-1889

Page from Gazeteer and Business Directory on 1888-'89; 1 pg.

Places#088 - "WASHINGTON, ARKANSAS: A CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS IN THE HISTORY OF... 1803-1973"

by Don Montgomery 19 pages.

Places#089 - "WASHINGTON FIRE OF July 3, 1874"

"Arkansas Gazette, July, 1875; "All the business part of the town burned..." 2 pgs."

Places#090 - "WASHINGTON, ARKANSAS: LEADERSHIP IN THE TIME OF WAR"

"Essay by Bob Browning, 1979; 15 pages."

Places#091 - "WASHINGTON, JR: LIST OF LOTS AND OWNERS, 1979"

By Don ;Montgomery 12 pages.

Places#092 - "WASHINGTON, ARKANSAS: LIST OF LOTS AND OWNERS, 1977"

By Don Montgomery 1 page.

Places#093 - "WASHINGTON, ARKANSAS: PLANNING MANAGEMENT REPORT FOR PIONEER WASHINGTON, 1974"

Letters seeking information from other historical restorations; History of the restoration of Washington and problems of the future. 29 pages.

Places#094 - WASHINGTON METHODIST CHURCH-FRONTIER EVANGELISM

Three newspaper articles. 1 page.

Places#095 - "WASHINGTON, ARKANSAS: PAINTING OF THE HOUSES"

"Report by Wilson stiles, 1981; colors for houses. 3 pgs."

Places#096 - WASHINGTON SCHOOLBOY WRITES HISTORICAL ESSAY

"Washington Telegraph (date unknown) "Eugene Redmond wins first prize in essay contest...." Newsprint, 1 page."

Places#097 - WASHINGTON RESEARCH REPORT: HISTORY OF WASHINGTON'S PUBLIC SQUARE

"by Don Montgomery, 1980; 8 pgs."

Places#098 - "WILLIAMS HOUSE PROJECT: HEMPSTEAD COUNTY, ARKANSAS"

Report by Jurney & McClurkan in 1977; Williams house at Blevins. 6 pgs.

Places#099 - "WOLFF STORE IN BINGEN, AR: "THERE USED TO BE LOTS OF ACTION"

"Texarkana Gazette, Dec., 1977, by Linda Franklin. Newsprint, 10 pages."

Places#100 - YELLOW CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH

"Memories of Susie Dove Slaughter; list of members, black and white; cemetery list. 17 pgs."

Places#101 - WASHINGTON RESEARCH REPORT: HISTORY OF BLOCK 94

"By Don Montgomery, 1980. 3 pgs."

Places#102 - "WASHINGTON, ARK: "HISTORIC SURVEY, UNDER CWA, WILL PERPETUATE STORY OF STRUGGLE OF STATE'S PIONEERS..."

"Arkansas Gazette, ca. 1940 newsprint 4 pages. "

Places#103 - "FARM FOR SALE OR RENT"

"Ad by C. V. Jagersfeld, Hope, land for sale by Washington depot; "green sand marl and blue clay of which the bricks for the Courthouse were made." 1 page."

Places#104 - "LAFAYETTE COUNTY COURTHOUSE, MEMORIES OF"

"By Dan Dennington; article series in Lafayette County Democrat, March 11, 1982 and March 25, 1982. newsprint 1 pg."

Places#105 - "RED RIVER: "THE BLUE HOLE" 1 1/2 MILES NE OF SPRING BANK FERRY"

"Formed by the flood of May 20, 1920; article by Dan Dennington I Lafayette County Democrat, 1982. newsprint 4 pages."

Places#106 - "NEVADA COUNTY, HISTORY OF"

"Mrs. Joe Hamilton, The Times-Picayune 1st Anniversary Edition, April, 1900 copy, map; 3 pgs."

Places#107 - "CAROLINA CHURCH IN NEVADA COUNTY, CONSTRUCTED IN 1852"

Registry paper for Arkansas Historic Preservation Program; earliest Methodist Church in Nevada County. 1 pg.

Places#108 - "MOSCOW CHURCH IN PRESCOTT, CONSTRUCTED IN 1868"

Registry paper for Arkansas Historic Preservation Program; 4 pgs.

Places#109 - "HEMPSTEAD COUNTY TOWNSHIPS, WHEN CREATED WITH MAP SHOWING 1930 BOUNDARIES"

"By Russell Baker, Arkansas History Commission. 1 pg."

Places#110 - "WHITEOAK GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH, RECORDS SHEET 1854-1870"

From minutes of Red River Baptist Association. 4 pgs.

Places#111 - "MT. CARMAL BAPTIST CHURCH, HISTORY OF"

"By Elder C. H. Tippitt, written of 100th anniversary. Outsize box."

Places#113 - "NEW BOSTON, BOWIE COUNTY TEXAS, HANDWRITTEN HISTORY OF"

"(several pages missing) "First county seat of Bowie County." Story of decline of the town and eventual removal of county set to Texarkana in 1926. 16 pgs."

Places#114 - "LAKE ERLING BAPTIST CHURCH, TAYLOR, ARKANSAS"

"Record book minutes 1959-1976 14 pages, copy"

Places#115 - WALKER'S CREEK TOWNSHIP: LAFAYETTE COUNTY

Life and Times of the early settlers by Marilyn Fish Bryan 5pgs.

Places#116 - FOREST GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH (founded 1861)

"Leaflets; History of the church; mother church of the Stamps Missionary Baptist Church 4 Bulletins, 13 pgs."

Places#117 - "RED RIVER MUSEUM: IDABEL, OK (brochure)"

Caddo Indian collections 2 pgs.

Places#118 - FORT TOWSON: INDIAN TERRITORY'S SECOND FORT; FOUNDED MAY 1824 (brochure)

1981 1 pg.

Places#119 - HARMONY CHURCH-MCCASKILL CHURCH: RECORDS; COPIED FROM ORIGINAL RECORD BOOK.

Harmony Church founded in 1898. Name changed to McCaskill Church in 1917. Handwritten copy by Dorothy Sevedge in 1978. Register of Pastors; Infant baptisms; marriages; membership list. (copy) Outsize box.

Places#120 - "WASHINGTON, ARKANSAS: THE BLOCK FAMILY AND MRS. GEORGIA HAYNES"

"by Tammy R. Wilson. May 10, 1982. Story of the Block-Catte house and the tour of the house as given by Mrs. Haynes. 6 pgs."

Places#121 - CONSTITUTION OF ZION BAPTIST CHURCH: HEMPSTEAD COUNTY

"November 8, 1895. 3 pgs."

Places#122 - LAFAYETTE COUNTY PROBATE COURT INDEX: 1828

copy. Outsize Box.

Places#124 - "HOMINY HILL- "THE WAY THERE"

"Humorous description, with map, to help a stranger find the home of Augustus Garland, whose home "Hominy Hill" was 15 mi. west of Little Rock in 1880. (Date of article unknown) From Arkansas Gazette. 6 pgs."

Places#125 - WASHINGTON: HEMPSTEAD COUNTY JAIL ALMOST FINISHED

"from Washington Telegraph. June 7, 1918-1925 Various news items concerning construction of jail and court suit in 1925. 5 pgs."

Places#126 - "EARLY SKETCHES OF CLARK COUNTY, ARKANSAS"

"The Randolph Farm, Bankhead Field and Creek, When Settled and by Whom. Location, etc. by Dr. W.S.S. ca. 1883 Unidentified newspaper copy 2 pgs."

Places#127 - OLD WASHINGTON HISTORIC STATE PARK: HISTORIC STRUCTURES REPORT

by Witsell. Feb 1980. Purpose of report is to document the findings of historians etc. to analyze the findings and the recommend conservation treatments and other procedures. B.) Brief History of the Stuart House 13 pgs.

Places#128 - "MENA'S 86TH BIRTHDAY: THE "OLD SETTLERS" REUNION."

"Newspaper articles from Mena Evening News. August 1982 Pictures of Janssen Park, where celebration was held. Newsprints. 15 pages to copy."

Places#129 - RED RIVER VOCATIONAL TECHNICAL SCHOOL: THE HISTORY OF -

"by Betty Ann Nannie. May 11, 1976 9 pgs."

Places#130 - WHITE OAK GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH: HISTORY OF-

Ruby A. Samuel. 13 pgs.

Places#131 - "FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH: PRESCOTT, ARKANSAS"

"A. Postcard; picture of church B. Church bulletin Sunday August 14, 1949: Diamond Jubilee C. Letter from R.P. Hamby to Mattie Wilson of Washington, AR 1 pg. Photo."

Places#132 - BANK ROBBERY AT WASHINGTON AR IN 1925 AS TOLD BY MRS. A. BOSWELL

Feb. 1925. 2 pgs.

Places#133 - ANTIMONY CITY DIARY: by WILL MORRIS (five pages)

Story of the shooting of C.C. Moore and letter from Mary McKean Meier giving the other side of the story 12 pgs.

Places#134 - "SOUTHWEST ARKANSAS PROVING GROUND: "OUT BY THE ROOTS"

"Arkansas Democrat Sunday, Sept. 21, 1941. Story of the evacuation of homeowners in the Jakajones Community in Hempstead County when the U.S. Gov. chose the area as a testing ground for missiles during World War II. 2 pgs."

Places#135 - BAKER SPRINGS: SOME MEMORIES..

"by Ernie Deane. Arkansas Gazette July 4, 1965 (The Arkansas Traveler column) Newsprints. 3 pages."

Places#136 - LITTLE RIVER COUNTY COURTHOUSE

Story with picture. Anna Nash Yarbrough. Clipping No date 1 pg.

Places#137 - BARTON HOUSE IN ANTOINE

Story with picture. Anna Nash Yarbrough. Clipping No date 2 pgs.

Places#138 - NEVADA (COUNTY) BEGINNINGS

Story with picture. Anna Nash Yarbrough Clipping No date 1 pg.

Places#139 - SHIFTING ARKANSAS POST

"Arkansas Gazette Sunday Magazine Sunday, July 29, 1956 "Channel-Changing Rivers and Whims of Commandants Transferred the New World Outpost to Many Sites." by Claire Moody 4 pages, newsprint."

Places#140 - "WASHINGTON, AR: DESCRIPTION IN 1919"

"From Arkansas Gazette Thurs. Nov. 20, 1919 Copy; page from Carrigan Scrapbook. 2 pages.."

Places#141 - THE STORY OF FULTON.

Master's Thesis by Ruth Anderson Wilson 1952 76 pgs.

Places#142 - CENTER POINT: PLAT OF 1900

by Faye Hughes Murray and Marcus Ray Blakeley. From the Howard County Journal of 1974. Copy 8x12 1 pg.

Places#143 - REMINISCENCES OF LITTLE RIVER COUNTY

"by Mrs. Seth Reynolds. Arkansas Gazette April 26, 1936 (First of three articles. Last page missing) newsprint 8 pgs."

Places#145 - COSSATOT RIVER: MAP AND DESCRIPTION

"1982. One page, front and back. 2 pages."

Places#146 - "WHITE CLIFFS, 1860"

"Article (unknown source) Story of town, cement factory. Map 2 pgs."

Places#147 - LITTLE RIVER COUNTY: COMMUNITIES THAT HAD POST OFFICES AND THE FIRST RECORD OF POSTAL SERVICE

Map with placement of towns. From cover of History of Little River County by bill Beasley 1 pg.

Places#148 - SEVIER COUNTY HISTORICAL AND GENEALOGICAL SOURCES OF INFORMATION

Lists of materials available in DeQueen. Library and Historical Society. 4 pgs.

Places#149 - SOME MEMORIES OF BRADLEY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

"By Alita Hamiter Tidrow Dickerson Dec. 1982. Dedicated to the Memory of her son, James Dickson Tidrow. Newspaper clippings of visits of family; Bradleys, Tidrows, Cochran. Some repeat pages from Roane Township Scrapbook 34 pg. booklet"

Places#150 - "PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (FIRST) Nashville, AR"

"National Register Papers (copies) 1975 Picture of church (copy) 4 pgs, newsprint"

Places#151 - EBENEEZER CAMP GROUND Howard County

National Register papers (copy) Methodist camp ground dating from 1837 5 pgs.

Places#152 - TATE HOUSE (OAKLAND FARM) Camden

National Register Papers (copy) House constructed in 1886. Situated at Tate's Bluff: Ouachita and Little Missouri Rivers 4 pgs.

Places#153 - ADAM BOYD HOUSE: Center Point

National Register (copy) Constructed circa 1848 4 pgs.

Places#154 - O'NEEL-BLACKBURN HOUSE: (Daisy - Pike County)

National Register Papers (copy) Log house constructed in mid-1860; now covered with clapboards. 4 pgs.

Places#155 - RUSSEY-MURRAY HOUSE Center Point

National Register Papers 1975 Constructed in 1851. Oldest brick house in Southwest Arkansas. 4 pgs.

Places#156 - McCASKILL ENJOYS SECURITY OF FIRE STATION

"by Mary Nell Turner. Ark. Gaz. Jan 2, 1982. 91 residents of McCaskill build fire station and paid for it in 3 1/2 years. 1 news print."

Places#157 - WASHINGTON: A BRIEF HISTORY

"Dr. John L. Ferguson, Director History Commission 1973 4 pgs."

Places#158 - LITTLE RIVER COUNTY: NINE HISTORIC MARKERS PLACED BY THE LITTLE RIVER HISTORIC SOCIETY

"Original Site of Little River County Seat, First Permanent Site of Little River County Seat, Site of Little River County Seat, Laynesport Steamboat Landing, Millwood Steamboat Landing, Peytonville, Anderson Ferry, Cerro Gordo, Arkinda (Indian trading post) 5 pgs."

Places#159 - HEMPSTEAD COUNTY: MARKERS WILL COMMEMORATE

"Hope Star (date unknown) 1. Fulton on Red River-point of crossing of Southwest Trail 2. Old Washington: rendezvous for troops on way to Mexican War 3. Hempstead County Courthouse (1836) first county seat newsprint, 2 pgs."

Places#160 - LEWISVILLE: HISTORY OF

"Clipping: Lafayette County Democrat Jan 27, 1983 newsprint, 2 pgs."

Places#161 - RONDO: two postcards

1. The Old Green House 2. Rondo- a Frontier Town in 1818 4 prints

Places#162 - GIN CITY: LAFAYETTE COUNTY

"From Lafayette Lookback, by Dan Dennington. "Gin City is integral part of Long Prairie." Lafayette County Democrat; 10 Feb 1983 1 pg."

Places#163 - DeSOTO'S CAMPSITE ON RIVER TO BE MARKED

"The ridge between Calion and Champagnolle, in Union County, has been recognized by Col. J.R. Fordyce as the place where DeSoto spent the winter from Nov 1541 to March of 1542." Article by Clayte Whitten in El Dorado Daily News, 24 Feb 1965. 4 pgs."

Places#164 - HOPE FIRST NATIONAL BANK

"Invitation to Open House at new building 15 Jul 1959. Hope Star 7/18/59. "First National Building Stands for 66 Years of Banking History; first robbery" news prints, 6 pgs."

Places#165 - HOPE WILL MARK ITS CENTENNIAL

Hope Star August 1875 4 news prints

Places#166 - NEVADA COUNTY HISTORICAL SITES

List with locations marked on county map 5 pgs.

Places#167 - ARKANSAS: AN ANALYSIS OF THE STATE

Report from the Arkansas Endowment for the Humanities forum of 1982. 28 pgs.

Places#168 - "CLARDY-LEE HOUSE: "GOING, GOING, GONE?"

"by Cy Sutherland in bulletin of Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas. Winter 1983. "If the will to preserve and a funding plan is not soon produced this house is doomed." 2 pgs."

Places#169 - STAMPS PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

"Lafayette County Democrat, 1982. "Imported glass, a work of art." History of stained glass windows and of church. 2 pgs, news print."

Places#170 - TULIP: 'ATHENS OF ARKANSAS' JUST HISTORY NOW

by Ernie Deane. Arkansas Gazette (no date) 1 news print.

Places#171 - BRIGHT STAR: A HISTORY

"by Alta Hicks, 1930. Founded in 1840, then in Lafayette County, now in Miller County. 5 pages."

Places#172 - PLEASANT HILL BATTLE HISTORY RECALLED AS PARK IS OPENED

"Dallas Morning News. 1936, two clippings (no date) 4 newsprints."

Places#173 - FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF DEQUEEN

1900-1952 Short history of the first church. Photocopy of illustration Postcard' watercolor of second church of 1952. 2 pages.

Places#174 - LAFAYETTE COUNTY: PLACES OF HISTORICAL INTEREST

clippings by Dan Dennington. Lafayette County Democrat.a. Hershel Kitchens Indian Museum b. Early jail at courthouse in Lewisville c. Old 336 steam locomotive at football ground d. Placque on Bodcaw Lumber Company vault e. Conway-Bradley Cemetery f. Spring Bank Ferry on Red River g. First courthouse marker on Chicaninny Prairie h. Site of 2nd courthouse

Places#175 - HISTORY OF RONDO AND OLD RONDO CEMETERY

"by Mrs. James Harold Stevenson, State Regent DAR 1979, from Cemetery Records of Miller County. 19 pages."

Places#176 - "ARKANSAS STATE HISTORY COMMISSION QUIETLY GATHERS, PROVIDES DOCUMENTS FOR RESEARCH"

"Doug Smith. Arkansas Gazette. Section B April 11, 1983. Illustration background of the History Commission (the state archives) with picture of Dr. John L. Ferguson, Director. Newsprint. 4 pages to copy."

Places#177 - "FEDERAL OCCUPATION OF WASHINGTON, ARKANSAS IN 1865"

"Research paper by Don Montgomery, Historian at the Old Washington Historic State Park; February 17, 1981. 6 pages."

Places#178 - POOR FARM: HEMPSTEAD COUNTY

"Article entitled "Report of Grand Jury: Hempstead Tammany Unearthed-" Washington Telegraph; June 12, 1872. Report by A.C. Baird, Foreman. Poor house commissioners are not caring for the aged and destitute in a proper way. 4 pages."

Places#179 - HISTORY AND FOLKLORE OF HOWARD COUNTY

by Virginia Buxton; no Date. 4 pages.

Places#180 - POISON SPRINGS BATTLEFIELD TO BECOME STATE PARK SHRINE

Arkansas Gazette; no date. Newsprint.

Places#181 - CENTURY-OLD COLUMBUS

"This Little Hempstead County Town Today is Celebrating the One Hundredth Anniversary of Its Founding. Many Historical Old Homes Still To Be found There." Illustration; Arkansas Gazette; February, 1934. By Mollie Cannon Jones. 6 pages."

Places#182 - "CRATER OF DIAMONDS: MURFREESBORO, PIKE COUNTY"

"Article: "Diamonds: Does Arkansas Have a $5 Billion Future?" by Bob Lancaster. Arkansas Times. March 1983. 8 pages."

Places#183 - LEWISVILLE: THE FIRST 30 YEARS

"A History of Lewisville, Arkansas from 1883-1913 by Frank Key; 1966. 22 pages."

Places#184 - "FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF LEWISVILLE, ARKANSAS: A HISTORY"

"1896-1970; by Aileen Stewart Landes, Era Shanon & Marjorie Walker, 1971. List of pastors, members. 10 pages."

Places#185 - LOUISE KING SCRAPBOOK PAGES (1900-1960)

"Miscellaneous newspaper clippings about Lafayette County. Civil War letter from Tom Farley; history, index of obituaries and death notices, picture of Jacob Buzzard and James Black copied from daguerrotype. (all copies) in outsize box; 150 pages, newsprints."

Places#186 - HISTORY OF THE FULTON POST OFFICE: LIST OF POSTMASTERS

"by Martha Blackwood, retired postmistress (1983) 6 pages."

Places#187 - "HISTORY OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, BINGEN, ARKANSAS 1847-1959 ALSO KNOWN AS "OZAN BAPTIST CHURCH"

by Glen Seaver Jr. 1 page.

Places#188 - HEMPSTEAD COUNTY COURTHOUSE (1836) BEFORE RESTORATION IN 1930

Four pages from the Carrigan Scrapbook. Newspaper stories. No dates. A.) States First Court House Built at Washington B.) Hempstead Courthouse is Nearing the Century Mark C.) Quaint Old Landmark Would be Restored and Grounds Would be Beautified D.) Hempstead County Has a Glorious Past 4 pages.

Places#189 - REDLAND SCHOOL REUNION (NEVADA COUNTY)

"Newspaper story, May 5, 1983. "Redland School reunion draws 235 enthusiastic participants." 1 newsprint."

Places#190 - LANEBURG CLASSES PLAN JUNE REUNION

"Laneburg Central High School, Nevada County; May 2, 1983. 1 newsprint."

Places#191 - TEXARKANA HOMES OFFER LOOK AT CITY'S PAST

"Three articles from the Texarkana Gazette on restored homes in Texarkana. The Whitaker-Perkins home; the Wadley-Monroe home; the Lightfoot home; the G.B. Ellis house, the Garrison home; the Whitmarsh home; the Temple home. 7 newsprints."

Places#192 - RED RIVER BRIDGE ABOVE FULTON

"Report of January 25, 1895 to the House of Representatives, 53rd Congress, from Mr. Durborow, from the Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce. 2 pages."

Places#193 - RED RIVER: CHANNEL CONNECTING RED AND SULPHUR RIVERS BY WAY OF TEXARKANA

"Letter from Sec. of War; April 12, 1911. 12 pages."

Places#194 - "WASHINGTON BAPTIST CHURCH: "TEEN RUNS 3 ROADBLOCKS, CRASHED INTO CHURCH."

Hope Star; July 1 1983 newsprints 3 pgs. .

Places#195 - DOOLEY'S FERRY ROAD WAS STARTED BY WILD ANIMALS

"Nash's Landing site, New Zion Negro Church- recently excavated by archeological society; Buzzard Brothers Farm; James Trigg's Story. 2 pages."

Places#196 - COLUMBUS AR: HISTORY IN A LETTER FROM R. C. STUART TO DAN CLANCY

"April 11, 1959. Story of visit of Dr. Branner, to the Indian Mounds at Columbus in 1886 (Dr. Branner: State Geologist) 10 pages."

Places#197 - "PUMP SPRINGS: "MY CAMP MEETING DAYS"

by Nettie Mae Bryant Hutchinson. Diagram of main building. 4 pages.

Places#198 - DeQUEEN FIRST METHODIST CHURCH HISTORY

2 pages.

Places#199 - BINGEN SCHOOL by Paul E. Haynes

"Bingen Academy founded in 1871 by Dr. J.R. Wolff; friction between Methodist and Baptist schools in 1881; Bingen Union Academy; schools of 1900. List of teachers from 1916-1930. 3 pages, 1 newsprint."

Places#200 - RED RIVER: DESCRIPTION AND PLACEMENT OF OLD FERRIES

"From Lafayette Lookback, by Dan Dennington, Lafayette County Democrat. September 15, 1983. 4 pages, newsprint."

Places#201 - POLK COUNTY 1870 CENSUS: SULPHUR SPRINGS TOWNSHIP

Handwritten. 20 pages.

Places#202 - LAFAYETTE COUNTY FAIR HAS LONG HISTORY

"From Lafayette County Democrat; September 1, 1983. 1 page "

Places#203 - GRANNIS CEMETARY GRAVE IDENTIFICATION

26 pages.

Places#204 - HOPE FIRST METHODIST CHURCH

"Brief history by Rev. Fred R. Harrison, P.C. 6 pages."

Places#205 - BLEVINS HIGH SCHOOL HOLDS MEETING OF HISTORICAL SOCIETY

"Hope Star; October 7, 1983. "The Hempstead County Historical Society met in the Blevins High School, the first solar school, near the site of the first Hempstead County courthouse of 1819..." 2 pgs."

Places#206 - SPRING BANK FERRY: BLANKTON FAMILY STORY

"from Lafayette Lookback, by Dan Dennington, Lafayette County Democrat. October 6, 1983. 4 pgs."

Places#207 - "KING, ARKANSAS. Talk by Cleo Schoolfield, 1981. Anecdotes of the people who lived there; Brief history."

4 pages.

Places#208 - WASHINGTON BAPTIST CHURCH; LETTER SOLICITING FUNDS FOR REBUILDING.

Mary Margaret Haynes. 1983. 1 page.

Places#209 - WASHINGTON CALLED HOME OF THE BOWIE KNIFE

"Hope Star, 1964. By John H Euston, Travel Writer for Arkansas Publicity and Parks Commission. 9 pages, Newsprint."

Places#210 - "WASHINGTON, ARKANSAS; ALIVE AND WELL"

"Epic poem by Opal Jane O'Neal. Second place winner in the Sybil Nash Abrams Award, 1981. Outline of WASHINGTON, ARKANSAS: HISTORY OF THE SOUTHWEST TRAIL, by Mary Medearis, 1976. 2 pages, newsprint."

Places#211 - COLUMBIA COUNTY

"by Hazel Underwood, 1979. Reminiscences of life in Magnolia and Waldo, ca 1920. 12 pages."

Places#212 - WASHINGTON UNITED METHODIST CHURCH CELEBRATION

"March, 1984. Reenactment of church service of 1822. Part of celebration for the Bi-Centennial in 1984. 24 pages, newsprint."

Places#213 - OUT OF THE DUST OF OLD PARACLIFTA

"by Will Steel. Arkansas Gazette; July 21, 1946. Picture of the Gilliam-Norwood Home and relatives. Newsprints."

Places#214 - ARKANSAS: AN ANALYSIS OF THE STATE IN 1982

Arkansas Endowment for the Humanities article. eliminated: Repeat of #167

Places#215 - BLEVINS METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH SOUTH: REGISTER 1886-1956

"List of pastors, marriages, members of the church. Originally known as the Marvin church. 120 to copy."

Places#216 - WINTHROP: CLUTTERED STORE KEPT BY HARMONIOUS MAN

"by Charles Allbright "the Arkansas Traveler" Arkansas Gazette; December 18, 1974. "Mary Loma and Dick Click and their store-general hardware and grocery store- in Winthrop that "has to be seen to believed and then you won't believe it." 1 page, newsprint."

Places#217 - TRIMBLE HOUSE IN WASHINGTON BEING RESTORED

"by Mary Margaret Haynes. The Hope Express; February 15, 1984. Illustration of House in 1890 and restoration of portico History of the Trimble family. 2 pages, newsprints."

Places#218 - ROYSTON HOUSE HISTORY

"by Mary Margaret Haynes. The Hope Express; March 1, 1984. 4 pages, newsprints."

Places#219 - SANDERS HOUSE IN WASHINGTON

"by Mary Margaret Haynes. From the Hope express; February 22, 1984. List of people who lived in the house. Newsprint, 2 pages."

Places#220 - SIX-MILE CEMETERY (Polk County)

"by Eva Martin and Kerry Johnson, 1984. 9 pages."

Places#221 - WILLIAMS HOUSE TO BECOME RESTAURANT IN FUTURE

"by Mary Margaret Haynes, The Hope Express; March 29, 1984. Newsprint, 2 pgs. ."

Places#222 - HISTORY OF THE BLOCK-CATTS HOUSE

"by Mary Margaret Haynes, The Hope Express; march 8, 1984. Newsprint 3 pages."

Places#223 - BLOCK-CATTS PORCH ONLY 100 YEARS OLD

"The Hope Express; March 26, 1984. Newsprint 2 pages."

Places#224 - PURDOM HOUSE AND THE DOCTORS AT WASHINGTON

"by Mary Margaret Haynes, The Hope Express; March 15, 1984. Newsprint."

Places#225 - MONROE HOUSE IN WASHINGTON

"by Mary Margaret Haynes, The Hope Express; April 5, 1984. Newsprint, photos."

Places#226 - ASHDOWN FIRST METHODIST CHURCH HISTORY

By T.B. Cook (1894-1983) 5 pages.

Places#227 - PECK HOUSE IN WASHINGTON

"by Mary Margaret Haynes, The Hope Express; April 12, 1984. 2 pages, Newsprint."

Places#228 - HEMPSTEAD COUNTY COURTHOUSE (1836): THE CONFEDERATE STATE CAPITOL

"by Mary Margaret Haynes, The Hope Express; April 26, 1984. Newsprint."

Places#229 - FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF PRESCOTT HISTORY 1876-1954

copy. 10 pages.

Places#230 - FIRST BRIDGE BUILT ACROSS THE OUACHITA RIVER

"Rockport; built in 1846 "lattice type" built of wood. Cost $20,000. Washed away by a flood in 1848. 6 pages."

Places#231 - RED RIVER PROJECTS: GROUP PLEADS ON FUNDING

"Four Arkansas men ask Congress for millions of dollars to help stabilize the Red River. Little River News; April 19, 1984. Newsprint 1 page."

Places#232 - RED RIVER BRIDGE COMING DOWN

"Hope Star; August 2, 1979. "Highway 67 bridge over the Red River is being replaced." Newsprint 2 pgs."

Places#233 - "GUN MUSEUM MORE THAN 25 YEARS OLD NOW."

"by Mary Margaret Haynes, The Hope Express; May 9, 1984. Gun museum in the Old Washington Historic State Park. Newsprint 2 pgs."

Places#234 - HEMPSTEAD COUNTY COURTHOUSE (1874): THE STORY OF-

"by Mary Margaret Haynes, The Hope Express; May 16, 1984. Newsprint 3 pgs."

Places#235 - GOODLETT GIN

"by Mary Margaret Haynes, The Hope Express; May 23, 1984. Restoration of the gin built by D.M. Goodlett in Ozan in 1883; now moved to the Old Washington Historic State Park. Newsprint 3 pgs."

Places#236 - GRASSY LAKE

"One of the largest tracts of virgin cypress in the U.S. is found 20 miles west of Hope, at Grassy Lake. Snakes, alligators, egrets, water turkeys, etc. 2 pages."

Places#237 - "HISTORIANS' HOUSE IN WASHINGTON" (The Law Office)"

"by Mary Margaret Haynes, The Hope Express; June 6, 1984. 1 page, newsprint."

Places#238 - HARNESSING MILLWOOD

"by Billy Burton. The Hope Express; June 6, 1984. Engineer's drawing shows the proposed hydropower facility for the city of Hope at Millwood Lake Dam. Newsprint, outsize box. Newsprint, 10 pages."

Places#239 - NAMING OF OUACHITA COUNTY

"Newspaper clipping, no date. 1 page, newsprint."

Places#240 - WASHINGTON BAPTIST CHURCH

"by Mary Margaret Haynes, The Hope Express; Jun 13, 1984. Brief history and plans for reconstruction of 1845 church. Newsprint 2 pgs. "

Places#241 - WASHINGTON: ARCHEOLOGICAL EXCAVATIONS IN 1984

"The Hope Express; June 18, 1984. The Martin Site and The Town Square in Washington under direction of Dr. Frank Schambach and Dr. Skip Abernathy. 3 pages, newsprint."

Places#242 - WILTON ENTERS WITH RAILS

"Brief history in Little River News; February 23, 1984. 1 page, newsprint."

Places#243 - WINTHROP EMERGES WITH RAIL

"Brief history in Little River News; February 23, 1984. 1 page, newsprint."

Places#244 - WASHINGTON METHODIST CHURCH

"History by Mary Margaret Haynes. The Hope Express; June 20, 1984. Childhood memories of the church. 4 pages, newsprints."

Places#245 - BRUCE MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (HISTORY)

"by Lelia Jordan, 1984. 10 pages."

Places#246 - "RED RIVER LETTER FROM DR. SIBLEY TO GOV. WILLIAM CALIBORNE, 1803"

Description of the Great Raft. 2 pages.

Places#247 - BEN LOMOND DEVELOPS STRONG TIES WITH ASHDOWN

"from the Little River News; July 5, 1984. Reprinted from the De Queen Bee; McKelvy, Editor. 1 page, newsprint."

Places#248 - ST. PAUL C.M.E. CHURCH

"History by Mary Margaret Haynes. The Hope Express; July 4, 1984. 4 pages, newsprint."

Places#249 - WASHINGTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

"History by Mary Margaret Haynes. The Hope Express; June 27, 1984. Newsprint."

Places#250 - WASHINGTON FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH: HISTORY

"History by Mary Margaret Haynes. The Hope Express; July 11, 1984. Newsprint."

Places#251 - WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL CLASS DAY EXERCISE (Seniors) 1938

"copy. Students: Joe Booker, Virginia Smith, Elizabeth Pilkinton, Mary Sue Stingley, Ola Mae Harris, Dora Mangum, Paul McCormack, Sarah Page, Walter Williams. 2 pages."

Places#252 - "AMATEURS, PROFESSIONALS DIG IN AT HISTORIC SITE"

"Arkansas Gazette; June 25, 1984. Archeological Society and Archeological Survey excavations at the town square in Washington and the Caddo Farm site at the Martin farm outside Washington. 3 pages, newsprint."

Places#254 - ANDREWS HOUSE IN WASHINGTON: A GHOST HOUSE

"by Mary Margaret Haynes. The Hope Express; July 18, 1984. William W Andrews house that burned in 193?. 4 pages, newsprint."

Places#255 - CRYER GROCERY- A TRIBUTE TO 40 YEARS OF MEMORIES

"by Nancy Landes, Lafayette Country Democrat; July 19, 1984. Cryer Grocery at Gin City, a family business since 1935. 1 page, newsprint."

Places#256 - REBECCA PHILLIPS HOUSE HISTORY (Washington)

"by Mary Margaret Haynes. The Hope Express; August 1, 1984. Story of "the Magruder Ball" of Civil War Days. 2 pages, Newsprint."

Places#257 - "COTTON GIN RESTORED, WORKING AGAIN AT OLD WASHINGTON PARK"

"(Goodlett Gin) Arkansas Gazette; September 13, 1984. 10 pages, newsprint."

Places#258 - DeANN CEMETERY: A BEGINNING AND AN END

"Nevada County Picayune; April 7 and April 14, 1985. 5 pages, newsprint."

Places#259 - STILWELL SCHOOL AT MENA

Irene Fuller Coyle. History of the school 1948-1983. 6 pages.

Places#260 - "MENA'S SOUTHWIDE SCHOOL, OLD AND NEW"

1904-1957 13 pages.

Places#261 - SHOVER SPRINGS: BITS AND PIECES

"Ada May England White, 1977 Eliminated: repeat of #075"

Places#262 - GOODLETT GIN AT OZAN IN 1971

"Clippings from the Texarkana Gazette and The Hope Star; "Hog Killing Time in Arkansas" and "Home Smoked Ham Lives On". 6 pages, Newsprint."

Places#263 - SARATOGA HISTORY

"from History of Howard County, Arkansas; 1873-1973, compiled by Howard County Heritage Club. 5 pages."

Places#264 - FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF TEXARKANA PLANS MEMORIAL OF CHANGE-RINGING BELLS

"Little River News; November 8, 1984. "Formal dedication o f the memorial change-ringing bells." 1 page."

Places#265 - COLUMBUS PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH: NOMINATION PAPERS FOR NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES

Letter from Wilson Stiles telling of acceptance. 14 pages.

Places#266 - WHAT AGE IS WASHINGTON?

"Arkansas Gazette; January 17, 1937, Sarah S. Jobe. Two articles on the history of Washington. 18 pages, newsprints."

Places#267 - HEMPSTEAD COUNTY COURTHOUSE (1836) HISTORY

"Don Montgomery, 1984. Published in Journal of the Hempstead County Historical Society, March 1985. 37 pages."

Places#268 - HEMPSTEAD COUNTY COURTHOUSE (1874) HISTORY

"Don Montgomery, 1984. Published in Journal of the Hempstead County Historical Society, March 1985 under title "Hempstead County Seats of Justice 1819-1885" 35 pages."

Places#269 - CAMDEN-EARLY DAYS

"Some interesting history related by Ira Nunn and written by C.D. Mixon, 1896. 4 pages."

Places#270 - MOLLY HARSHMAN SCHOOL

"a. Dedication of Holly Harshman Elementary School program; November 4, 1984. b. "School Dedication is Sunday" Mena Evening Star; October, 1984. c. "Holly Harshman Honored" Western Arkansas Post; January, 1984. 5 pages, newsprints."

Places#271 - "COLUMBUS DAY IN COLUMBUS, ARKANSAS"

"Texarkana Gazette; October 11, 1971. Historical background of the town as it appears today. 2 pages, newsprints."

Places#272 - PRESCOTT: HOBBYIST EXPLAINS A BIT OF PRESCOTT HISTORY

"Ernie Deane: The Arkansas Traveler; Arkansas Gazette, no date. 1 page, newsprint."

Places#273 - "MILDRED SMITH IS SEARCHING FOR BLACK HISTORY"

"Black History Museum in Washington. Hope Star; June 25, 1985.8 pages, newsprint."

Places#274 - DeANN: ONCE UPON A TIME IT WAS MORE THAN A TINY CROSSROADS

"Brad Bailey, Hope Star; November 5, 1975. Reminiscences of Mrs. Nora Samuels and Mr. And Mrs. Monroe Samuels. 4 pages, newsprint."

Places#275 - "CHALYBEATE SPRINGS CEMETERY, PLAIN DEALING, LOUISIANA"

"Alphabetical listing by Frank Cochran, 1985. 11, pages, folder."

Places#276 - OIL BOOM OF 1922: OIL CELEBRATION OF 1985

"Clippings from The Smackover Journal, July 15, 1985. Opening of the Oil and Brine Museum in Union County. 8 pages, newsprint."

MOVED to VFSA 1559

Places#277 - MENA AND VICINITY: PLACES OF INTEREST TOURISTS SHOULD SEE

List with map. 4 pages.

Places#278 - MOUSER CABIN HISTORIC HOMESTEAD

"Hope Star photos and text by David Redlich; April 2, 1985. "One of the three oldest houses in Arkansas still stand at Rocky Mound; constructed by George Mouser in 1826. 4 pages, newsprint."

Places#279 - WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL 45TH ANNIVERSARY

"Program and newspaper publicity from the Hope Star; June 15, 1985. Washington, Arkansas. 12 pages, newsprint."

Places#280 - STAMPS:100 YEARS OF PROUD HERITAGE

"Information compiled by GlenWard. Lafayette County Democrat, page 16; August, 1985. 6 pages, newsprint."

Places#281 - HISTORY OF HOPE

"C.A. Bridewell. Handwritten copy, 1936, and from the Hope Star Centennial Edition of 1936. 17 pages."

Places#282 - "ARKANSAS SEMI-CENTENNIAL OIL CELEBRATION EL DORADO, ARKANSAS"

"1921-1971. Story of the oil strike, illustrated. Outsize box. "

Places#283 - MENA'S SOUTHSIDE SCHOOL OLD AND NEW

"First known as Southside School 1905-1948-then Stillwell School 1948-1985- new building named Holly Harshman School, 1985. Written by Inez Lane and Holly Harshman. "

Places#284 - FULTON RESEARCH NOTES FROM THE ARKANSAS GAZETTE 1819-1838

"compiled by Don Montgomery, 1985. 18 pages."

Places#285 - PARACLIFTA..GHOST TOWN'S LIVING SPIRIT ENRICHES STATE

"by Nancy Steel. Southwest times, For Smith, October 6, 1985. Gilliam-Norwood house pamphlet for celebration of September 28, 1985 to launch a cookbook entitled A TASTE OF ARKANSAS. (Sesquicentennial project.) 100 pages."

Places#286 - "GENESIS OF ETHEL McRAE BEMIS PARK IN THE CITY OF PRESCOTT, ARKANSAS"

"notes copied from the RECORDER'S MINUTES of Prescott, 1893-1937 and excerpts from PRESCOTT GARDEN CLUB MINUTES by Mrs. Joe Hamilton. Story of a park made along the siding of the railroad tracks of the St. Louis Iron Mountain and Southern Railroad Company. 8 pages."

Places#287 - HOWARD COUNTY MUSEUM IN NASHVILLE (Presbyterian Church)

"Newspaper clippings of founding and Christmas exhibit Texarkana News: Linda Franklin, 1975-1976. 8 pages, newsprints."

Places#288 - ALLEENE FARMHOUSE LITTLE MUSEUM

"Texarkana Gazette; October 2, 1977. The Will Reed home in Alleene; now a museum operated by the Little River County Historical Society. 3 pages, newsprints."

Places#289 - OKAY: A COMPANY TOWN FOR WORKERS OF IDEAL CEMENT COMPANY

"Texarkana Gazette, December 11, 1977. Founded in 1929. Population today: 2. 1 page, newsprint."

Places#290 - LANEBURG HAS ADVANTAGE WITH SCHOOL

"Texarkana Gazette; December 4, 1977. School enrollment is 137; a rural school with an enrollment drawn from an 82 square mile area in Columbia County. 4 pages,newsprint."

Places#292 - AH! IT'S FROG LEVEL IN THE SPRINGTIME

"Linda Franklin, Texarkana Gazette; May 1, 1977. Derivation of names of towns in Southwest Arkansas: Frog Level, Ink, Stamps, De Queen, Smackover. 1 page, newsprint."

Places#293 - GRIM SOCIAL CENTER OF 20's

"Texarkana Gazette; February 26, 1978. Hotel Grim, once the focal point of Texarkana's social, civic and business life is now a home for the retired. 4 pages, newsprint."

Places#294 - WASHINGTON'S EARLY DAYS RECALLED

"Program by Don Montgomery for the Hempstead County Historical Society. Hope Star; January 14, 1986. Story by Dorothy Winchel. The town of Washington as it represented the three phases of town development in the 19th century. 2 pages, newsprint."

Places#295 - DIERKS LUMBER COMPANY HISTORY

"De Queen Bee and Daily Citizen. July 20, 1972. Dierks Lumber and Coal Co. which became Weyerhauser Co in Howard County. Illustrated of early timber camps (1900). 8 pages, newsprints."

Places#296 - SPRING HILL HISTORY-RADIO SCRIPT

"Emma Turner, April 13, 1948. 3 pages."

Places#297 - "NEAL SPRINGS: DESCRIPTION IN A LETTER FROM W.E. DICKINSON TO FRANK ETHRIDGE, OF HORATIO."

"original document, August 16, 1947. 1 page."

Places#298 - STAMPS: HISTORY OF -

"Glen Ward, 1974. 3 pages."

Places#299 - CONWAY STATE PARK DEDICATION

"Lafayette County Democrat. Clippings of dedication ceremonies in March, 1986. 8 pages, newsprints."

Places#300 - AMITY CHURCH RECORD

"Presented by Brother E.W. McCrary of Mineral Springs, September 25, 1885. (copy) 16 pages."

Places#301 - ANTIOCH BAPTIST CHURCH: SEPTEMBER 1864- MAY 1879

"(Hempstead County) Cash book. Names of members, copy. 8 pages."

Places#302 - "POINDEXTER'S GROCERY STORE AT OGEMAW, OUACHITA COUNTY"

"Mystery of the oldest general store in South Arkansas solved." Arkansas Gazette; December 8, 1985. 3 pages, newsprint."

Places#303 - NASHVILLE IN ARKANSAS

"from Dixie Magazine. Vol III- no. 6, July 1927. Copy. 6 pages."

Places#304 - "SPRING HILL, HEMPSTEAD COUNTY, ARKANSAS"

compiled by Kitty Jean from So-We-Ar Journal 1985. 2 pages.

Places#305 - "CENTER POINT SESQUICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION, APRIL 12, 1986"

"Newspaper publicity by the Nashville Times. 20 pages, newsprint."

Places#306 - DICKEY CLAY CLOSES DOWN: FAREWELL TO A GIANT

"James Tennison, Texarkana Gazette; February 16, 1986. Dickey Clay Manufacturing Company in Texarkana manufactured clay pipe and other products from 1905-1984. Closed in 1984. 4 pages."

Places#307 - "OKAY, ARKANSAS: A HISTORY OF THE TOWN, ITS PEOPLE AND IDEAL CEMENT COMPANY"

"Mike Stanton, 1986; 16 pages, illustrated. "

Places#308 - WILLIAMS TAVERN RESTAURANT OPENS IN WASHINGTON

"Texarkana Gazette, 17 Aug 1986 by Robert Kett. The John Wilson Williams house from Blevins after the restoration in Washington. Newsprint, 5 pages to copy."

Places#309 - THE DAVIS OPERA HOUSE IN MENA

"From The Mena Star, 17 Aug 1986; built in 1900, destroyed by fire in 1922; newsprint, 8 pages to copy."

Places#310 - THE MENA CONNECTION PART I

"A Modest Sketch of Mena, 1896 to 1910; from the Mena Star, 12 June 1986; 1 page."

Places#311 - "MENA, ARKANSAS: THE CITY A RAILROAD BUILT"

"By Gypsie Cannon, 1986; brochure, 32 pages."

Places#312 - WAKEFIELD UNITED METHODIST CHURCH 100TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY

"by Lucille Westbrook, 1986; 3 pages."

Places#313 - WILLIAMS TAVERN PRESERVES PAST

"The Hope Star, 3 Oct 1986; brochure and menu by Don Montgomery; history of the Williams Tavern and excerpts fro The Washington Telegraph of 1847-49. 10 pages."

Places#314 - "MENA HIGH SCHOOL, 1915 AND 1946: "STRIKE, INSURRECTION, AND REBELLION"

"Mena Star, 21 Sept 1986; story by Harold Coogan; two incidents of student uprising at Mena High School; newsprint 4 pages to copy."

Places#315 - WINTHROP

"By Rose Marie Stidham, 8 Jan 1965; chapter heading: Location, Description, Establishment, 1909-1910, 1911-1915, 1920s, Lipton, Justice Courts, School, "Dipsy Doodle" and Winthrop After the War. 18 pages."

Places#316 - FOREMAN AND ROCKY COMFORT: HISTORY circa 1942

"handwritten, 8 pages."

Places#317 - PATTY HILL PROVES DIFFICULT TO TRACE

"The Patty Hill School, a private school in Texarkana from 1921 to 1943. founded by Mary Patterson. Newsprint, 4 pages."

Places#318 - NAPOLEON: DROWNED AND BURIED

"by Sam Dickinson, Arkansas Gazette, 20 Feb. 1949; first of three installments of an article about the old town at the mouth of the Arkansas River. Story of the Strykers and the Grand Council of Murrel's henchmen (ca 1830). Newsprint 8 pages."

Places#319 - WASHINGTON BAPTIST CHURCH DEDICATION SERVICE

"18 May 1986; rebuilt in 1986, program, 3 pages."

Places#320 - FULTON BIDS FAREWELL TO AN OLD LANDMARK

"Hope Star, 3 Mar 1987; Cox's Store, built in 1902, is torn down with bricks cleaned and stacked for resale; newsprint, 6 pages."

Places#322 - CAPITOL OF POLK COUNTY: PIONEER LIFE AND CUSTOMS

"by Marion E. Watkins; Long Cabin, Mena AR, ca 1950; story of the historical log cabin in Janssen Park, Mena, AR Part II: Pioneer life and customs. 13 pages."

Places#323 - HISTORIC HOME OF JUDGE HUBBARD STILL STANDS

"The Arkansas Gazette, 4 Oct. 1914; "Eminent Jurist came from Connecticut in 1831 and Located in Clark County Near Arkadelphia." Newsprint, 6 pages."

Places#324 - "COLUMBIA COUNTY: NOTES FOR PRESENTATION TO THE SO-WE-AR GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY JANUARY 19, 1987"

"By Maurice McKinnon, compiled from Kilgore's History of Columbia County, Goodspeed, Banner News and Collier's book, "They'll Do to Tie To" copy. 14 pages."

Places#325 - THREE TINY PIONEER CHURCHES PULL TOGETHER TO SURVIVE

"By Robert Kerr, Texarkana Gazette 19 Apr 1987; The Methodist Church, The Baptist Church and Presbyterian Church in Washington in April of 1987. newsprint 8 pages."

Places#326 - PRINTING MUSEUM NEWEST EXHIBIT AT OLD WASHINGTON

"Hope Star 24 Mar 1987; The Washington Telegraph is the basis for the Printing Museum in Old Washington, major part of the press exhibits come from the old Star of Hope. Newsprint, 4 pages."

Places#327 - "COLUMBUS, ARKANSAS: CONVERSATION WITH WILSON GREEN OF COLUMBUS IN 1976"

5 pages.

Places#328 - CHRONOLOGY OF ARKANSAS FROM 1541 TO 1970

4 pages.

Places#329 - PEYTONVILLE HISTORIC MARKER

Postcard with history of Peytonville; 1 page

Places#330 - CHIDESTER BANK OPENS IN 1909

Board Fails to Rename Founder as President; Camden newspaper 19 Jan 1961 newsprint 2 pages.

Places#331 - RED HILL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH CELEBRATES 101ST ANNIVERSARY

2 Sept. 1973; History of the church 3 mi. north of Chidester; service of Dedication for Fellowship Hall; 2 pages.

Places#332 - STEELS CHAPEL MEMBERSHIP REGISTER 1881

only one page.

Places#333 - NASHVILLE ARKANSAS: FORTY FAMILIES WHO CAME IN 1856

"From the Bedford Co. Historical Quarterly Vol. 7 #2, Summer 1981 1 page."

Places#334 - WASHINGTON RESEARCH REPORT: HISTORY OF BLOCK 14 IN WASHINGTON ARKANSAS 1819-1987

"by Don Montgomery, list of businesses during the years and chart of locations 63 pages."

Places#335 - LAMARTINE: LOOKING BACK ON LAMARTINE

"By Mollie Cannon Jones, interview with Mrs. Mattie Caroline Beasley DeVaughan, who recalls early history of pioneer settlement in Columbia County. Arkansas Gazette Sunday Magazine Section, 28 Nov 1937; newsprint 4 pages."

Places#336 - "SARATOGA, ARKANSAS, A HISTORY"

"By Mike Stanton, 1987; 22 pages."

Places#337 - "HEMPSTEAD HOUSE IN WASHINGTON, ARKANSAS, RESEARCH REPORT"
Author: by Don Montgomery

"1987 And the Brunson House in Columbus, which is to be moved to the Hempstead land in Washington. 17 pages."

Places#338 - "BODCAW, THEN AND NOW"

"By Gail Martin, 1986; 6 pages."

Places#339 - BODCAW MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH HISTORY 1883-1983

"By Gail Martin, 1986; 3 pages."

Places#340 - "BAPTIST UNION HIGH SCHOOL IN BODCAW, ARKANSAS"

"Baptist subscription school; "Next Session Opens September 14, 1908"; 16 page booklet giving history and "Present Outlook"; pictures of faculty; 16 pages."

Places#341 - BODCAW: HISTORY OF THE EARLY SETTLEMENT AND DEVELOPMENT

"Parker Township, Nevada County, 1853-1948; list of alumni and addresses from the high school, copy 23 pages."

Places#342 - "SOME HISTORY OF POLK COUNTY, ARKANSAS"

"By Eva Ruth Martin, from a taped lecture to the Polk County Genealogical Society, 1987. 17 pages."

Places#343 - ANTOINE POST OFFICE RECORDS WITH LIST OF POSTMASTERS 1832-1975

formerly named Wolf Creek; 3 pages.

Places#344 - DELIGHT POST OFFICE RECORDS WITH LIST OF POSTMASTERS 1896-1972

"With Bowen post office records 1889-1916, mailed to Deligh; 19 pages."

Places#345 - "WITH CLIFFS: LITTLE RIVER COUNTY, ARKANSAS"

"report with map of White Cliffs town, ca 1895; 10 pages."

Places#346 - "WASHINGTON COUNTY, MISSOURI: LIST OF THE FIRST SETTLERS WITH SPANISH LAND GRANTS 1795"

locations noted; 10 pages.

Places#347 - MENA K.C.S. DEPOT GRAND OPENING CEREMONIES 1920-198

Chamber of Commerce is now located in the depot; program of ceremony; newspaper story from The Mena Star 14 Jul 1987. newsprint 2 pages.

Places#348 - "COLUMBUS, ARKANSAS: HOW DID COLUMBUS AR MARK THE DAY?"

"Columbus Day 1987; article by Joe Crommett, Texarkana Bureau, Arkansas Gazette Story 13 Oct 1987. Newsprint, 2 pages."

Places#349 - BRUNSON HOUSE IS MOVED TO WASHINGTON

"Newspaper articles, October, 1987; 4 pages."

Places#350 - WASHINGTON FIRE OF 1875

"Newspaper clipping accounts from The Washington Telegraph July 6 and July 7, 1874; 4 pages."

Places#351 - BAPTIST CHURCH (MISSIONARY) OF BRADLEY

"History compiled by Mary McKnight, Frank Cochran and Laura Cochran, copy 6 pages."

Places#352 - CHIDESTER HIGH SCHOOL REUNION 8 AUG 1987

30 pages copy

Places#353 - "DALLAS, POLK COUNTY SEAT 1844-1898"

"By Harold Coogan, Mena Star, 28 Feb 1988; newsprint, illus. 12 pages to copy"

Places#354 - HEMPSTEAD COUNTY COURTHOUSE 1836

"A. Washington Historical Society to meet; appropriation is made by legislature to use $5,000 for restoration of old courthouse; b. Corner Stone of Old Capitol Laid 27 Feb 1930. 2 pages."

Places#355 - LEWISVILLE BIDS SAD FAREWELL TO AN OLD FRIEND

"By Ernie Deane, Arkansas Gazette, 29 Mar 1962; The Old Moore Hotel Is torn down after 70 years of history. 1 page"

Places#356 - TALES OF THE PIG PEN PRINCESS AND THE LOST COSSATOT GOLD MINE

"Bob Lancaster in Arkansas times, June 1988. 2 pages."

Places#357 - OLD CABIN POPULAR LANDMARK

"by Troy Williams, The Mena Star, 3 June 1988; "The Oldest Landmark in Mena is the old Log Cabin in Mena Park, built in 1851. newsprint 2 pages."

Places#358 - AN INTERESTING HISTORY OF THE BELLEVUE VALLEY

"Copied form the Independent Journal of Potosi, Missouri 23 June 1938; records of the Bellevue twp. Newsprint, 10 pages to copy."

Places#359 - ARKINDA (CHOCTAW CITY) AND THE ARKANSAS & CHOCTAW RAILROAD COMPANY

Story of the town of Arkinda (Choctaw City) in Little River County at the coming of the Arkansas and Choctaw Railroad Company I 1889. 4 pages.

Places#360 - WILLIAMS TAVERN HISTORY: AN INTERVIEW WITH ALEXANDER SMITH IN 1975

"2 pages with Gazette clipping stating a post office has been established at the residence of John W. Williams January 8, 1848. 2 pages."

Places#361 - BUCKNER POST OFFICE TO BE DEDICATED SUNDAY

"Lafayette County Democrat Oct 27, 1988; account of all post offices in the area from 1854 to 1888; brief history of Buckner. Newsprint 4 pages to copy."

Places#362 - ST. BARNABAS EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF FOREMAN

"History, originally know as St. Mary's; 3 pages."

Places#363 - ROCKY COMFORT MEMORIES

"Researched and written by Natalie England; former Circuit Clerk of Little River County, 6 pages."

Places#364 - JANSSEN PARK SIDEWALKS 1906-1988

"Mena Star clipping Oct 11, 1988; newsprint 2 pages."

Places#365 - TATE'S BLUFF FORT: CIVIL WAR FORT AT CAMDEN

"Survey site report, 1967 newsprint; 6 pages to copy"

Places#366 - MY TOWN OLD ROCK COMFORT

y Cecil Duke Woods; 11 pages.

Places#367 - "LAYNESPORT TALK: ARKANSAS HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION MEETING IN WASHINGTON, APRIL 1989"

By Donna K. Matteson; 14 pages.

Places#368 - "READER, ARK., BECOMES HARPER'S FERRY, WV"

"Warner Brothers Studios films a television movie "The North and South" John Brown's raid is filmed at Reader with Johnny Cash as John Brown. Newsprint, no date, circa 1987; 2 pages."

Places#369 - "NORWOOD HOUSE IN WASHINGTON, REPORT"

"By Don Montgomery, 1989; also know as the Abner B. Williams House. 10 pages."

Places#370 - WASHINGTON RESEARCH REPORT: HISTORY OF BLOCK 58

"By Don Montgomery; the Page House ; land previously owned by William Collins, Joseph Paup, Ephraim Mirick Robert Williams. 8 pages."

Places#371 - WASHINGTON RESEARCH REPORT: HISTORY OF BLOCK 93

"By Don Montgomery, 1980; owners: Grandison Royston, Trimble and Johnson, Dr. James Alexander Lafayette Purdom, H. D. Carruth; 6 pages."

Places#372 - WASHINGTON RESEARCH REPORT: HISTORY OF BLOCK 60

"By Don Montgomery, 1986; owners: Ashbrook, Cermenati, Chase Brothers, Daniel Winn, Ernest Wiedemann, Jagerfeld; 2 pages."

Places#373 - JACQUES HISTORIC HOUSE RESTORED

"Hope Star Feb 6, 1990; Dr. Thomas Jacques' house in Howard County is saved and restored by Ed Talley; newsprint 4 pages."

Places#374 - MILLER COUNTY: THE FRONTIER THAT MEN FORGOT

"By Rex Strickland; reprint from Chronicles of Oklahoma, Volume XVIII, March 1940, Number 1. 76 pages. (repeat of #046.)"

Places#375 - "ROCK SPRINGS CEMETERY: MILLER COUNTY, ARKANSAS"

"A complete listing of gravestone inscriptions compiled by Charles Mills and Eddie Glenn Rose, June 1983. 18 pages."

Places#376 - OLD POTTER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH IN MENA

"a. Dedication of the Old Potter Presbyterian Church 21 May 1950, leaflet b. Old Potter Presbyterian Church dedicated, The Mena Evening Star 22 May 1950 c. Miss Dorothy of Arkansas story page 10 in Presbyterian Life d. Miss Dorothy (Green) of the Ozarks, Arkansas Democrat Gazette 20 Dec 1953 38 pages to copy."

Places#377 - "LILLEY, IN OUACHITA COUNTY"

"a. Lilley from the Gazeteer, 1892-93 b. Lilley had a post office 1886-1905 c. State of Arkansas Map 1901 d. Town Plat of Lilley, 1882 e. Camden Topographical Map showing location of town and railroad. 15 pages."

Places#378 - HISTORY OF THE OUACHITA RIVER IN ARKANSAS AND LOUISIANA

"A Chronology of Time, Places, Events 1492-1974, by H. K. Thatcher, September 1974; 14 pages."

Places#379 - POVERTY POINT STATE COMMEMORATIVE AREA

"Pamphlet on Indian settlement near Epps, LA, dating 12 centuries before Christ. Includes two copies of pictures of mound area. 7 pages."

Places#380 - WASHINGTON ON THE BRAZOS STATE HISTORIC PARK

"Birthplace of a Nation, article by Rosemary Williams published in Texas Highways magazine, Jan. 1991. 8 pages."

Places#382 - A GENERAL HISTORY OF THE PRESENT DAY COLUMBUS METHODIST CHURCH BUILDING

"With copy of Deed of Conveyance, dated October, 1900; written by James R. and Bonnie Jo Kaufman, 1991, 5 pages."

Places#383 - TRIMBLE HOUSE: FROZEN IN TIME

"Story on the restoration of the Trimble House, Washington, AR, published in the Star Extra, Dec 26, 1990; pictures by Tim Estes, text by John Miller; newsprint 4 pages."

Places#384 - "EBENEZER CAMPGROUND, CENTER POINT, THAT OLD TIME RELIGION"

Newspaper article by John R. Schirmer, published in The Nashville News, Aug. 15, 1991; photos by John R. Schirmer; newsprint 6 pages. Newspaper article by Morgan Robinson and J. R. Schirmer, The Nashville Leader, August 2, 2006, That Old-Time Religion.

Places#385 - THE TRIMBLE HOUSE IN WASHINGTON

"Research on John Dyer Trimble and his family and the house which was passed down through four generations; compiled by Lucille Westbrook, 1992; 10 pages."

Places#386 - "WASHINGTON, THE CONFEDERATE CAPITOL OF ARKANSAS"

"Article by Leslie Barns, for America's Civil War magazine, Sept. 1992, issue; gives history and restoration story. 5 pages."

Places#387 - REMEMBRANCES OF HOPE

"Newspaper articles by Gary Johnson published in the Hope Star, Sept. 17, 1992 to Feb. 12, 1993; 26 pages."

Places#388 - LITTLE RIVER COUNTY CHURCH HISTORIES

Brief histories of 22 churches donated by Carolyn Magruder; 58 pages.

Places#389 - HOPE PROGRESS 1995

"Pictures and articles about Hope, names businesses, the renovation of the city hall; downtown Hope street opened two-way traffic again; depot and President Clinton's home in process of renovation; 22 pages. newsprint."

Places#390 - "PAGES FROM THE PAST: 75 YEARS AS REPORTED BY THE LOG CABIN DEMOCRAT, CONWAY, ARKANSAS"

Newspaper front pages from 1908 to 1986; 56 bound pages.

Places#391 - THE A. O. STUART HOME

"Research by Don Montgomery, with photo of house; copy of newspaper article about Ruth McEnery Stuart; 6 pages."

Places#392 - OLD WASHINGTON RESEARCH REPORT; A HISTORY OF BLOCK 6

"Research by Don Montgomery, 1984; includes maps from 1830 through present; 15 pages."

Places#393 - OLD WASHINGTON RESEARCH REPORT: THE TOWN OF WASHINGTON IN 1858

"Research by Don Montgomery, 1982; with news and ads from the Washington Telegraph and weather reports from Dr. Nathan Smith for 1857-58; 34 pages."

Places#394 - "HOPE, BIRTHPLACE OF AN AMERICAN PRESIDENT"

Four page newspaper articles about eh hometown of President Clinton and the tourism that has resulted since he took office; 17 pages to copy.

Places#395 - "WASHINGTON, ARKANSAS, CITY BLOCK 33 DEED"

"An old deed (1958) to Washington City Block 33, lots 1, 2, 3, 4 with survey diagram; formerly site of Persimmon Place, now owned by Julia Mobley; original 7 pages."

Places#396 - "PRESCOTT, ARKANSAS, ESTABLISHED IN 1876"

An undated newspaper clipping ca. 1949; that provides some early history of Prescott; 1 pg.

Places#397 - "RONDO, MILLER COUNTY"

"A 4 page newspaper article, undated, chronicles some of the early history of tht town of Rondo and Miller county. 10 pages to copy."

Places#398 - SEVIER COUNTY REMINISCENCES OF CAPTAIN JOHN G. McKEAN

"Reflections of life in southwest Arkansas in the 1800s printed in the Washington Telegraph, ca. early 1900s; 3 pages to copy."

Places#399 - "HOPE STAR PROFILE EDITION, 1999"

"Profiles of people, industry, business, agriculture, education and community. Newsprint, 18 pages."

Places#400 - HISTORY OF COLUMBUS

"A paper written by Marjorie McCrary in the 1970s for a class at University of Arkansas, 17 pages."

Places#401 - FIRST NATIONAL BANK PICTORIAL CALENDAR 2000

"Pictures of Hope scenes from early days to the present; booklet newsprint, 6 pages."

Places#402 - ECHOES FROM THE PAST

"People and Places form the Early Days of Nevada County; compiled and researched by Jerry McKelvy, 2000, indexed, 68 pages, spiral bound."

Places#403 - CLOW ORAL HISTORY AND MYTHS

"The Arkansas Democrat Gazette records the annual homecoming, relating the history of the community and the lives of some of its families; newsprint 8 pages."

Places#404 - "BINGEN, ARKANSAS, AND DR. J. R. WOLFF, A LIFE"

"A research paper submitted to Dr. Richard Sonn, Department of History, by David Boozer, Fayetteville, Arkansas, December 12, 2000; includes notes and photographs; 28 pages."

VFSA #0893 - SOME EARLY HISTORY OF LITTLE RIVER COUNTY AS TOLD TO H. H. McIVER IN 1890 BY AN OLD MAN (CLARK WARD)

"Journey from Tennessee in 1820 to Paraclifta and Willow Springs; drove a stage from Laynesport to Washington; fought with "Dan Jones' outfit" in the Civil War; battle of Corinth; lived at rocky Comfort for the rest of his life. 12 pgs."

VFSA #0895 - LONG PRAIRIE INFORMATION

two pages copied from two sources giving the location of Long Prairie and Lost Prairie of 1825. 4 pgs.

Places moved to VFSA 0155 - CAMDEN AND THE OUACHITA RIVER

"by H.K. Thatcher, executive Vice President Ouachita Valley Association: Brief record of founding of Camden, Development of Boat and Barge Commerce on the Ouachita River; Expenditures for Specific Improvements; Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army, and Navigation Reports and the People's Organization that Sponsored the Program 28pgs."

Moved to SMCSA 687 - "THE SONS OF SOUTHERN SIRES WASHINGTON, AR, AND THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES"

"Written by Don Montgomery, 1986; 15 pages."

VFSA 0917 - PARACLIFTA: PROPERTY OWNERSHIP MAP 1850-1880

"By Hugh Carruth, 1982, copy. 1 pg."

VFSA 1060 - PARACLIFTA: FOUR DECADES GLIMPSED

"Essay by Mary McCrory, Sevier County. 1982. First county courthouse built in 1829. Story of three courthouses at Paraclifta, first county seat of Sevier County Jails. 33 pgs."

VFSA 1060 - PARACLIFTA: ONCE MAJOR COUNTY SEAT

"from The Nashville News; May 26, 1960. History of the town; story of Catterson's raid in 1867. 4 pages, newsprint."

VFSA 1060 - PARACLIFTA: GHOST TOWN OFFERS LESSON IN HISTORY

"Linda Franklin, Texarkana Gazette; April 23, 1978. 4 pages, newprint."



Home Page | About Us | Your Family History | Your Family Photos | Resources | Listing | New Arrivals | Schools Project | Family History File | Subject File | Small Manuscripts File | Pamphlet File | Historic Old Washington Index | Photographs/Walz | Public Records (Microfilm) | Surname File | Photographs/Archives | Picture File Inventory | Place File Inventory | Southwest Arkansas Cemeteries | Cemetery Surveys | Our Counties | Columbia County | Hempstead County | Howard County | Lafayette County | Little River County | Miller County | Nevada County | Ouachita County | Pike County | Polk County | Sevier County | Union County | Extra! | Buy | Link | Civil War | Discussion Board | Search | Help